Thanks to a synergy between the Command 1 ^ Air Region, the Airport Detachment of Dobbiaco, the Aircraft Efficiency Group (G.E.A.) of the 51 ° Stormo of Istrana (Treviso) and the 28 ° Group of the 32 ° Stormo of Amendola (Foggia), it was provided – in the period between September and mid-November – to restore the Gate Guardian FIAT G-46 4B, two-seater aircraft that needed an important work to preserve the integrity of the historic aircraft in the operational area of the Val Pusteria Department.
Of importance is the restoration work of the specialized technicians of the G.E.A. who, inside the special scaffolding covered by a large cloth to protect from the weather, not moving the aircraft from its installation, have completed the work, providing new luster to the livery of the historic aircraft, under which the skates were mounted, restored by the 28th Group and subsequently painted by the G.E.A. of the 51st Wing.
The G-46 was a low-wing monoplane trainer aircraft, produced by FIAT Aviazione between 1948 and 1952 in 233 units. It made its first flight on June 25, 1947. Built in light metal alloy equipped with an Alfa Romeo 115 air-cooled 6-cylinder inverted in-line engine. It has been used by the Air Forces of Italy, Austria, Argentina and Syria. This aircraft 5 ^ Series with Military Serial Number 53302 is one of the 141 specimens that were supplied to the A.M. until the end of the 50s, when with the advent of the North American T-6 there was the withdrawal of the G-46. Of the 50 aircraft sold to the Aeroclub d’Italia for the re-equipment of the fleet of the federated Aeroclubs, the current aircraft was hosted at the airport of Cameri.
The Dobbiaco Airport Detachment, which depends on the Command of the 1 ^ Milan Air Region, guarantees support to Mountain Survival Courses (Flight Safety), to the Departments in training in the context of international exercises and Airmanship Maintenance Courses on glider; to this is added the detection of meteorological parameters on the ground.
Follow us on our Telegram channel